Monday, July 11, 2011

Simple Love Song: A Mater/Holley FST

It seems late nights have turned into fanmix making time.

Can anybody think of a job skill application for this? Is there somebody they pay to pick the tracks for all those "best of 20__" albums? Because that'd be amazing. "I'm Netbug, the "WOW 2012" song picking girl."

Spoilers for Cars 2!






Honey and the Bee - Owl City
"If the green left the grass on the other side
I would make like a tree and leave
But if I reached for your hand, would your eyes get wide?
Who knew the other side could be so green"
--
"Yeah, I never thought
We were two peas in a pod
To be suddenly bloomed
And I knew that I'd always love you"

[Polar. Opposites. Opposite personalities. Opposite ends of the world. But they both find something on the other side that attracts them to one another.]


More Than Useless - Relient K
"Whats the purpose? It feels worthless
So unwanted like I've lost all my value
I can't find it, not in the least bit
and I'm just scared, so scared that I'll fail you"
--
"And sometimes I think that I'm not any good at all
And sometimes I wonder why, why I'm even here at all
But then you assure me
I'm a little more than useless"

["Go get some more dents, Mater," she says, and he finally gathers himself and goes to save his friend.]

Simple Love Song - Hello Kelly
"How would you feel about a simple love song?
'Cause I've been writing this for you for so long
I see you singing, singing, singing all alone
I know you're wishing we could make your song our own"
--
"If you got it bad, girl
Why don't you tell me all your feelings?
You can't run from love forever
Nobody should
If you got it bad, you got it good"


[Mater is extremely up front with Holley about having feelings for her. He quickly throws compliments her way to the point that poor Holley who doesn't find him nearly as attractive as he finds her is embarrassed to be associated with him and is hiding his face behind holograms nearly as quickly.]

Lovely Woman - Monk & Neagle
"Can't stop thinking about you
You're all that I can see
Pressing on to the sound of your voice calling me
Midnight, headlights
And I'm almost home
Every mile is bringing me to you"

[Mater had such a big smile on his face when Holley showed up in the epilogue. <3]

You and Me - Lifehouse
"Cause it's you and me and all of the people
With nothing to do, nothing to lose
And it's you and me and all of the people and
I don't know why I can't keep my eyes off of you"

[Can you imagine Holley explaining herself if somebody asked about her choice in relationships? Mater has an endearing quality about him that isn't easy to understand, but you know is there.]

Long Live - Taylor Swift
"You held your head like a hero
On a history book page
It was the end of a decade
But the start of an age"
--
"Long live all the mountains we moved
I had the time of my life fighting dragons with you"

[For their adventure together, and Mater getting knighted at the end.]

You Might Think - Weezer
"You might think it's foolish
This chancy rendezvous
You might think I'm crazy
But all I want is you"

[Mater returns to his friends with a smitten look on his face. "What's a rendezvous?"
"It's, um, like a date."
"A DATE?!"
"What? What's going on?"
"What's going on. is that I. have a date."]

Nobody's Fool - Brad Paisley
"Had the time of my life
Before I could see what was really going on
And what you really thought of me.
Look at me now, eyes open wide,
Wiser today and driving away with my shattered pride."
--
"Now I’m nobody’s fool
It ain't no fun anymore
Cause now that I’m nobody’s fool
I'd rather be yours"

[Oh, and the rest of the song too. If this wasn't intended to be their theme song then I don't even know.]

Enough to Let Me Go - Switchfoot
"All I know
I still got mountains to climb
On my own"
--
"Back from the dead we went through
Back from the dead and both our tongues are tied
You look beautiful tonight"

[Because Holley continues along her dangerous life of espionage.]

Watashi Ga Iru Yo (I'm Here With You)
[English translation]
"Doesn't it feel good to just laugh out loud?
Even without an umbrella, the pouring rain can't hit our eyes
Stopped at a flashing red light,
You hesitate, you can't even take the first step
My power isn't great
Like the poor humming I've had since way back
But I can still tighten this loose screw!"
--
"Even if the world turns against us,
I've got your back
Never forget, you can trust in me"

[Holley is timid and serious. Mater is blunt and fun loving.]

You Are the Woman - Josh Kelly
"You are the woman that I've always dreamed of -
I knew it from the start.
I saw your face and that's the last I've seen of my heart."

[Mater was very quickly smitten by Holley.]

Fun Fact: "Mater of Disguise" from the OST was almost on this, because it perfectly mixes the espionage sound with the Radiator Springs sound from the film. Spies and small town guys! Give it a listen when you can.

2 comments:

  1. I kind of wanna start making fanmixes for no reason, now. But half the fandoms I'm in already have their own amazing music - are even KNOWN for it - so I'm not sure it would work...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @legrotesque Just have fun with it! :D

    ReplyDelete