Friday, November 18, 2011

Thoughts on the Brave Trailer

Pixar has released the first full trailer for their 2012 release Brave and... I'm left uncertain.

Well, that's not entirely true. I am certain visuals are stunning, and I recommend playing this as the best HD your computer can manage in full-screen.


Immediately, my thoughts return to How To Train Your Dragon in terms of style and some of the gags. Granted, I adored HTTYD, but seeing how this is Pixar's first non-adapted endeavor since 2009, the last thing I want Brave to turn out feeling is derived.

My bigger issue is with our protagonist, who so far she seems like another cliche female character as a soapbox for feminism. Oh look, it's the tomboy of a princess who doesn't like being proper, doesn't want to marry, disagrees with her mother on the matter, and runs away from home to have adventures.

Come to think of it, I still have no idea what the story of this is supposed to be.

I hope this is just a case of mediocre trailer and not a window into the actual film's mood, like a good trailer is. Of course, I'm going to go see it no matter how the trailers look, because it's Pixar. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if we get a surprisingly original film or a cliche graphics demonstration.

No comments:

Post a Comment