Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Dear Fan Fiction Writers...

Read.

Over.

Your. 

Work.

I just finished reading a chapter of a story that couldn't have been more than 500 words long, and there were a good dozen misuses of words in it. Wrong word choice. Wrong tense. A totally different word than what you meant. Etc.

Spellcheck was never intended to replace proofreading, and when you try to use it for that, nine times out of ten it is glaringly obvious. And by glaringly obvious, I don't just meant that it's glaringly obvious you abused spell check. More importantly, it's glaringly obvious that you're lazy. I try not to measure one's artistic merit by their personality traits, but when you don't take a little extra time to make your work presentable, I have to wonder why I am taking the time to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment